Monday, February 21, 2011

To-do list

After the mock defense last Friday, the work on my dissertation has moved into its last phase. My mock opponent, Bjarke Liboriussen, was great as he pointed out things I have missed and ought to address. Thank you so much, Bjarke!

In the next month or so I intend to address the following issues:

  • Introduction: Position myself and my research, methods, and theories more clearly.

  • Theory chapter: Check if I can add to the discussion of power. The concepts of virtuality and virtual, and the fact that I'm not using them, should be elaborated on in a footnote adjacent to the levity/weight discussion. Highlight issues of identity construction (Butler/Goffman) with links to make-believe/make-belief.

  • Method chapter: add examples of texts, discuss with Jay regarding textual analysis/ethnography.

  • Nekos: Highlight examples of identity construction linked to make-belief.

  • Midian City: If possible, highlight examples of identity construction linked to make-belief.

  • Gor: Highlight examples of identity construction linked to make-belief.

  • Caledon: If possible, highlight examples of identity construction linked to make-belief.

  • Check the thread throughout. Rewrite/add when needed.

  • Conclusion: Future directions. Applicability of my findings. Make sure that I refer to my aim/thesis statement. Add a section on identity construction.

  • Check punctuation, citation, bibliography. Make sure that I'm consequent about British spelling.

  • See what I can do about "double citations," the cases in which I have relied on a quotation by someone found in a book written by someone else.


  • I guess I'd better get going then.

    No comments: