Monday, October 11, 2010

Continuing to Write

Last week I finished a first draft of the chapter on the friendly, playful and laid-back Nekos (cat people) in Second Life, which I then sent to my supervisors Jay Bolter and Mikael Jakobsson. Then I began to write the chapter on Gor, the large, hierarchical community which is based on the dichotomy between masters and slaves.

There are so many differences between the two communities, and I have to admit that I feel a lot more uncomfortable as I now elaborate on Gorean issues and hierarchies. For me, the Neko chapter was written from within the group. It is a community I feel comfortable in. The Gorean chapter, on the other hand, looks at the Gorean culture from the outside. It looks at how the Goreans describe themselves and their rules, as well as how other people describe them. Additionally, I'm attempting to portray the discussion between Goreans and non-Goreans. It's altogether a far less lighthearted topic.

2 comments:

Bryan's workshop blog said...

Light-hearted vs not: I can see that, when it comes to Gor.

I wonder if the majority of Gor players in SL didn't read the books (at least at first).

Mia said...

I see comments like that from "real" Goreans all the time. They seem to be pretty certain that many people, who are new to Gor, haven't read the books at all. They usually hint that the newbie Goreans mainly seem to be drawn to it because of the D/s and BDSM elements they've heard so much about.