Thursday, September 09, 2010

Status Report

It almost feels as if I have abandoned my blog, but I'm hoping to be able to write more blog posts in the autumn. The summer has been wonderful. We have spent a lot of time abroad, in Denmark as well as in France. On August 9, I finished a first draft of the theory chapter for my dissertation and my supervisor Professor Jay Bolter seemed to be happy with it. It relies on the works of, for instance, performance studies theorists such as Richard Schechner and Philip Auslander, as well as sociologist Erving Goffman. I'm also influenced by the thinking of writers such as Judith Butler, Michel Foucault, Gilles Deleuze and Felìx Guattari. My general aim for my PhD thesis can be put it in one sentence: I'm interested in how both dramatical and social roles are shaped and what kind of results they might lead to in terms of power games.

At the moment I'm going through all my material for the Neko chapter, of which I have written approximately 15 pages. The situation at work has improved a lot, which gives me more space to focus on my writing and I actually hope to finish my entire PhD thesis before Christmas.

No comments: