Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Interviewing Nekos and Other Residents

At this point I have interviewed fourteen residents inside SL, and they are a pretty diverse group. Most of the people I have interviewed categorize themselves as Nekos and they are either engaged in roleplay (in Midian City or in Ulthar) or they take part in the Second Life Nekos forum. With some of them I have talked about what it's like to be a Neko (and this ranges from people who wear ears and a tail together with normal-looking clothes to felines who wear a cat or leopard skin and walk on all fours), with other residents the main focus has been on role-play (how and why do they RP?). I have also had the opportunity to talk to a few people in a more administrative capacity in Midian City, thus increasing my knowledge of the management, structures and decision-making processes in the sim. This is something I plan to look into more thoroughly and I hope to get interviews with even more people both inside and outside Midian City on this topic.

In some cases the boundaries between my different sets of questions have been blurred and we have touched upon many different aspects in our often long and extremely interesting talks. I'm so grateful for the response I have received and the opportunity to meet all these wonderful people who are willing to share their view of Second Life with me. Thank you!

No comments: