Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Seminar at HUMlab in Umeå

I was invited to hold a seminar at HUMlab at Umeå university where I presented my research at a seminar that was broadcasted live (also available here). My talk was entitled "The Weaving of the 3D Web: Hierarchies and subversion in online worlds" and focused on the rules that limit and govern the residents' experiences inworld, rules that usually are a replica of what we can find in various spaces in the physical world. In an environment which often has been seen as a space where anyone is free to do whatever they like, I highlight this paradox and try to illuminate in what ways these regulations are maintained and sometimes enforced, but indeed also subverted.

A really big thank you to Cecilia Lindhé, who invited me, and all the other people at HUMlab. I do hope to see you all again soon.

No comments: