Thursday, September 25, 2008
Theory: Interactive storytelling - Anna Gunder, Henry Jenkins. Multisekvential storytelling (tree structure) - Gunder. Narrative architecture - Jenkins. Flashbacks are there since Geralt has lost his memory. Jesper Juul & Erving Goffman (via Fine).
Proposing the "Game Experience Model" where R = rules, F = fiction, G = game, P = player, W = world, + key-up = more immersed, - key-down = less immersed.
1. OTS (over-the-shoulder camera) Does it make the player more or less immersed? Personal if it's perceived as good or bad. Affects world + rules.
2. Fading out in cut scenes. Time irregularities. Affects world + fiction.
3. Is the interface seamless or not? When comes the tutorial/cutscene? Is it intrusive? Affects game + rules.
4. Too similar characters. Who is who? Affects game + fiction.
5. Illogical dialogues. Affects player + fiction.
Do design choices lead to key-up or key-down? Choices need to be interesting.