Sunday, September 03, 2006

Pattern Recognition

I finished William Gibson's most recent novel Pattern Recognition late last night. It has been on my shelf for more than a year and I haven't found the time to actually read it. Perhaps I was waiting for the right time, the right mood, the right setting... In any case, the timing must have been perfect now. It spoke to me in so many ways. I loved it.

Right now my respons to it is probably more emotional than it will be later on. I have a feeling that I will indeed work with this novel, and I know I will address it in a different way then. But right now it's just personal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say more about why you liked it?

(this is Bryan)

Mia said...

Hi Bryan,

I liked it on several levels. One of them is that it is simply a very good comment on contemporary society, its hunt for novelty, its wish to reveal the "truth" about everything, make the incomprehensible "explainable" and therefore less dangerous. I like the references to advertising, the snapshots of online communities, the articulation of feeling "lost in between" (something I can relate to quite easily).

On a more personal level, I think the novel mirrors me and my life at the moment. And whereas the above makes it interesting for me professionally, the last thing is actually what makes me want to work with it. Pattern Recognition makes me think about things I need to take a look at in myself right now. (Yes, it's cryptic...) ;)