Thursday, August 31, 2006

Skype Videochat for the Macintosh

Finally!!! A friend and former colleague, Andreas Nyström at Karlstad University, just drew my attention to the fact that Skype had released a beta enabling videochats on macs. Previously I have used Skype for voice and aMSN for video and it has worked fine, but it still used to be a hassle and happened only when I really wanted to see the person I was talking to.

At this point I've seen and talked to four of my former colleagues in Karlstad, and it felt really good to be able to do that. :)

4 comments:

Robert Sharl said...

I didn't know that either! I've watched a friend's (very slow and tiny) webcam image using Yahoo! Messenger (my mac, her pc), but haven't tried my iSight with it yet (mostly because it languishes, since I got it, at the office). As you've had Skype working with your built-in iSight here's hoping it works with the older, FireWire, ones. Or if not, that Apple get the updated, USB 2 no doubt, iSights out very soon.

Mia said...

I think it should work, actually. And I might be able to try it out right away... :) Downloading the beta to Marc's old G3 right now. I'll keep you posted.

Mia said...

The image is good with iSight on the G3 too, but Skype shut down after a minute or so. It might be that the processor can't handle it... Anyway, my old iSight seemed to work nicely.

Robert Sharl said...

That's very good to hear. I'll bring that iSight home.